Monday, May 16, 2011

The Split On Caye Caulker Belize






Soundtrack to this post: http://youtu.be/q46zIMnE92E

I think my friend Chance would have to agree with me that the afternoon we spend being lazy, sipping on cold drinks and cooling off in the light blues of Caye Caulker was the best idea ever. We had been staying the past couple days on the larger island of Ambergris Caye in the beach town of San Pedro but we wanted to see what else was out there island wise. So we took a 20 minute boat ride over to Caye Caulker, walked the quiet sandy town and didn't really find much of anything. For all the hype about this island I figured there would be more. The town just seemed to be rows of bungalows and gift shops and nothing more. But we were determined to make it worth the $12 boat ride.

Erika had read in her guide book the day before that there was an area called "The Split" that is said to have good swimming, tan bodies and good drinks. It was a part of the island that had to be cut so that boats can have their way through. After having misled a group of hippies a few minutes before (they thought we knew what we were doing) we finally found it. We knew we hit the spot when a large sign read "The Lazy Lizard" and behind it were all the bodies sprawled out sun bathing. Hot and sweaty from walking the entire town, we jumped in. 

After our body temps were set back to norm it was high time to quench the thirst. The Lazy Lizard bar ended up being anything but lazy. These bartenders were top notch. They found you beaconing from all corners of the bar, got your order, made it right in front of you with fresh fruits of all kinds, fancied it up with different colors and WALA! Heaven in a plastic cup. Why yes you can have a tip senor!

Now when they talk about atmosphere, this place had it. The ocean was two steps away, names were carved into the bar stools, Bob Marley music was blaring and the locals were gathering. One Rum Punch in and I'm feeling good....I mean happy.

The rest of the afternoon went like this: Sip our drinks, talk to hippies, take a dip, listen to music and repeat. As I floated on top the salty water I could hear the music echoing through the water and into my ears. My only worry that afternoon, don't float into that fisherman's line.

Now if only I could repeat the whole day.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Beautiful pictures of a tropical paradise! The colors make me feel so relaxed!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Oooh I love that part of Belize! Gorgeous pics, which camera do you use?