Sunday, January 17, 2010

For Those In Haiti

When I first heard the news of the 7.0 earthquake in Haiti and in Haiti's largest city, my heart dropped. I knew without reading any further that this was going to be news that brings you to tears and will be incredibly horrific. And this event as been pulling at my heart for a few days now.

For about 2 years I had done research on places to be a long term volunteer at and I had seriously thought about going and living in Haiti and working with a couple different Christian organizations like Friends of the Orphans or visit with Airline Ambassadors. And just today I read of volunteers that had died at the exact place I thought about volunteering. From my research I knew of the massive amounts of suffering going on in that country (one of the poorest in the Western Hemisphere) and with an earthquake on top of it I couldn't imagine the turmoil, crime, hopelessness and lost souls that will be created. The buildings there are like they are in any poor country - made of whatever you can find and without any kind of safety standards. It has taken me a few days to even write about this because it has bothered me and I want so much to be in a position to be able to go down and be there for the people. But I can't and I have to do what I can from here. I hope and I pray that something good will come out of this and that souls will not suffer but instead find comfort in something or someone. And I hope to God that relief efforts reach many and bring peace to many.

If you still feel as though this disaster in another country really doesn't pertain to you, I dare you to read through this blog, look at the photos and watch the videos and your mind will change. Make your world a bit bigger. Latest News & Updates On Haiti (Viewer discretion is advised.)

Organization I found a couple years ago: Yele Haiti

No comments: