Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Asia And Back

So my sister Andrea and I decided to take another trip. This time it wasn't so much a trip with the label "vacation" attached. It was more of a business trip I guess you can say. We flew up to New York and to my surprise, it was the fastest little trip ever. The Chicago airport was actually good to us. Once we got there we took a 2 hour nap on the airport floor and quickly got sick of random body parts going numb and people starring so we called in early to see if checking in was even possible. And it was!

We arrived to our awesome apartment and quickly felt like we were transported to Asia (see Seminary above). Seeing how this trip was about foreign volunteer work with Maryknoll, I guess it made sense. I learned about working in Africa, Latin America, and Asia. Some of the most interesting info I learned was about teaching in China. Even though there is absolutely no freedom of religion there, Maryknoll is sent to basically teach. Students there have to pass tests that are harder than the our SAT's. And if they don't pass the first time, their families don't bother paying for a 2nd time and the student is left to work at
McDonalds till the day they die. That is if money and tutoring isn't available.

But what I'm interested in is Latin America. Hopefully it will all work out. I'm off to my applications. Wish me luck.


Courtyard & Buddhist monastery bell that is rung to send volunteers out.

1 comment:

Nomadic Matt said...

good luck! good luck!!!